Have you ever received a message that ‘iMessage Needs To Be Enabled To Send This Message’ while trying to send messages to your iPhone friends? This error might seem like it is due to an iPhone malfunction or an unavailable server. In reality, different causes lead to this error, and it can be fixed. This article will cover the common reasons and how you can fix this error.
What Is iMessage?
iMessage is a feature on Apple devices that allows users to send text messages, photos, videos and more to friends and family. It’s similar to other messaging apps like WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger or Snapchat.
In recent years, the app has become increasingly popular with people who have Apple devices. It’s not just because it works well — but also because it’s free (unlike some other messaging apps).
Features Of iMessage
iMessage is one of these apps that will always be on the list of best mobile messaging apps because it comes with a ton of features that make it stand out from all the rest.
Here are 10 features you may not know about iMessage that make it more than just another messaging app:
- Send media files instantly with instant send and receive files
- Track who’s typing and see when your messages were read or delivered
- Send messages over cellular data while connected to WiFi (iMessage only)
- Turn off read receipts so people don’t know when you read their messages (or don’t!)
- Use stickers and animated GIFs instead of text – they are way more fun!
Reasons Why “iMessage Needs to be Enabled to Send This Message” Issue comes
When you are trying to send an iMessage from your iPhone, iPad or iPad touch and you get the message “iMessage needs to be enabled to send this message”, it means that you need to enable iMessage on your device. You might have disabled it by mistake or for some reason.
Here are 10 reasons why “iMessage needs to be enabled to send this message” issue comes:
- You may have mistakenly disabled iMessage.
- Your iPhone is not connected with the internet.
- You might have changed your phone number without updating it on your Apple ID account.
- You haven’t updated your iOS version on your iPhone, iPad or iPad touch device.
- Your iCloud account may have been disabled due to security reasons by Apple or by yourself (if you forget the password).
- Your device might be infected with a virus or malware that causes such issues while sending messages through the iMessage app on your device (make sure you run antivirus).
- There could be some network issues like network congestion or low signal strength at that time when you tried to send an iMessage from your phone (make sure you are on Wi-Fi).
Troubleshooting The Issue “iMessage Needs to be Enabled to Send This Message”
The issue “iMessage Needs to be Enabled to Send This Message” is usually caused by the problem with your iOS device or iPhone. Here are some possible solutions:
1. Check iMessage Server Status
The first thing you should do if you are getting the error “iMessage needs to be enabled to send this message” is to check if the server is working properly, go to Apple’s official website or click here and check if they have any service outages listed. If so, you may need to wait until it gets fixed before you can send messages again.
2. Ensure iMessage is Enabled
This is the most common reason for this error message. To fix this, you need to enable iMessage on your iPhone or iPad. Follow these steps:
Go to Settings>Messages>iMessage>Send & Receive and make sure that the slider for Text Message Forwarding is turned on (green). If it isn’t, tap it and turn it on.
3. Reset Network Settings
If you are still getting the same error message after enabling iMessage on your device, then you might want to consider resetting network settings on your iPhone or iPad. This would delete all saved Wi-Fi networks and cellular data connections from your device and let you set them up again from scratch. Follow these steps:
Go to Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings
4. Reset iCloud Messaging
iCloud Messaging stores all of your messages in iCloud after being sent and received by other users. If there are too many messages stored in iCloud, then it won’t be able to send new messages properly because of limited storage space available in iCloud. To resolve this issue, go to Settings > Messages > Delete Messages.
5. Restart your iPhone
Sometimes, it’s just a matter of restarting your iPhone, and you can fix this problem easily. All you need to do is press the power button for about 10 seconds until the “slide to power off” appears on the screen. Then, press and hold down the Home button for about 5 seconds until you see an Apple logo on your screen again.
6. Check for Software Updates
Go back into Settings > General > Software Update and make sure there aren’t any pending updates available for your iPhone or iPad. If there are, tap Download and Install at the top of the screen, then follow the prompts until everything has been installed successfully.
The process of updating the iPhone is simple and straightforward. Below are steps on how to update your iOS device:
Step 1: Tap on “Settings”
Step 2: Select “General”
Step 3: Select “Software Update”
Step 4: Tap “Download & Install Now”
7. Disable and Enable iMessage from Settings
If you have the problem “iMessage Needs to be Enabled to Send This Message”, you can try to disable and enable iMessage from Settings on your iPhone.
To do this, please follow these steps:
- Open Settings app on your iPhone, tap Messages and then tap Turn Off iMessage.
- After that, turn on iMessage again by tapping Turn On iMessage. It’s okay if you don’t see this option in your Settings app.
8. Delete stuck Message or Conversation
Delete any stuck message or conversation to fix this issue. To do so, you can follow these steps:
- Open an iMessage conversation (or conversation thread) that you want to delete.
- Tap Edit in the upper-right corner of the screen, then tap Delete All on the Edit screen.
9. Toggle AirPlane Mode On & Off
AirPlane mode is an option that disables all wireless connections on your iOS device, including cellular service and Wi-Fi. If you turn on airplane mode, this means you won’t be able to use your phone at all, but it can help you fix the iMessage issue
Go to Settings > Airplane Mode & Toggle Airplane Mode switch on and off until the issue is solved.
10. Reset iMessage Settings
In most cases, this issue is caused by the problem with your iPhone or iOS device. You can try to reset the settings of iMessages and see if it works. To do so, you need to follow these steps:
- Open Settings app on your iPhoneor iPad.
- Tap on Send & Receive > Your Apple id
- Now Tap on “Sign out”
- Now Reboot your iPhone and sign in again with your apple id again
- After doing so, please check if you can send and receive iMessages properly.
11. Force Close Messages App and Try Again
This is one of the most common solutions for this kind of problem. If you have tried sending a text message, but it didn’t work, then force closing the Messages app may also help. Simply double-click the Home button and swipe up on the Messages app icon in order to close it completely. Then go back into Messages and try sending your text again.
12. Send an SMS Instead of iMessage
You can try sending an SMS message if you can’t send an iMessage. To do so, open the Messages app and tap on the conversation which has failed to send a message. Then tap on the name of the person with whom you want to send a message and then tap on Send as SMS. Until you get a response from Apple support, you can use this method for sending messages so that your recipient will receive them instantly without any delay.
13: Contact Apple Support
If none of the above troubleshooting solutions work for you , Contact Apple Support immediately to resolve the issue.
You can get help from Apple support, you can contact them directly. You can call them at 0800 048 0408 or use the Contact Us page on their website. They will ask you for your name, phone number and email address so that they can send you an email with further instructions. If you do not have an Apple ID, then you will need to create one before contacting them.
These are all the working solutions I can offer to you. Some of them are hard to perform, but I hope they will help you fix this problem when it occurs again. If yes, welcome to leave your feedback below or share your own experiences in using iMessage with us. Each comment is very valuable for us to continually improve our service for you.
Most Commented Posts